We are restarting the HHS Drivers Education program. We have not been given the go ahead yet for face to face classes so we will restart with online drivers education classes.
This new course would look like this:
- Same cost $45.00
- 30 hour Online Course. Meet virtually daily (10 days) for 45 minute classes on Zoom.
- Complete 10 modules
- Tests and quizzes for modules
- 100 question final
- Then you will be assigned a driver and you will complete the in car 12 hour “Behind the Wheel” portion (6 hours behind the wheel & 6 hours observing from back seat). The current COVID Precaution Protocols are listed below under the heading "Behind The Wheel".
Monday August 31 - Friday September 11 Class Completed
Monday October 5 - Friday October 16 Class Completed
Monday November 2 - Friday November 13 Class Completed
Monday November 30 - FrIday December 11 Class Completed
Monday January 4 - Monday January 4 Special Craven County Winter Break Class Class Completed
Monday February 1 - Friday February 12 Class Completed
Special Craven County Spring Break Class REGISTRATION IS CLOSED.
This class will take place from March 29 to April 12th 5pm to 6pm
You must be 14 ½ years old. Birthdate must be on or before 9/29/2006.
Go to the following website www.jdscarolinas.com for the Spring Break Class information
APRIL 2021 CLASS
Monday April 12 - Friday April 23 REGISTRATION IS CLOSED
Information will be emailed to class Mar 26-28. Check your email.
MAY 2021 CLASS
Monday May 10 - Friday May 21 REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN
You must be 14 ½ years old. Birthdate must be on or before 11/10/2006.
June Class - Dates to be posted soon
July Class - Dates to be posted soon
August Class - Dates to be poseted soon
- To register go to the HHS website, Student & Parents tab and then click Drivers Education.
- Click on the class that you want to take then fill out the form.
- You will get a welcome letter and zoom link the two weekends before your class.
- You must do a short registration process for the online class.
- We will meet every weekday for 45minutes (a total of 10 meetings)
- You can work on the course at your leisure.
- To pass you must get a 70 average of all quizzes, tests and the final.
- You must complete the 30 hour course within 3 total weeks (We will only meet for two weeks)
- The course costs $45.00.
- You may pay in cash, check or money order.
- Checks are made payable to: Havelock High School.
- You will make your payment the week before your course begins.
- You will receive an email/text about how and when to make your payment.
Behind the Wheel:
- Once you complete the online course, you will completed the behind the wheel portion in order of the oldest students in the class to the youngest student in the class.
- You will be assigned a driving instructor and they will call/text/email you and set up your driving schedule.
- You will drive two per car.
- You will be in the car 12 hours (6 driving and 6 observing).
- There are Covid protocols for the Behind the Wheel portion.
- Covid waivers must be signed
- Covid questionairre
- Daily temperature checks
- All will wear masks
- Students will santize hands befor driving
- Instructor will disenfect all areas touched by students in between drivers
- Combination of air conditioning and opening windows for more circulation of air in car
Please direct all questions to: Jorge.Benitez@cravenk12.org
DRIVER'S EDUCATION CLASSES : Craven County Schools contracts with a NC Driving School, JDS Carolinas, Inc., to provide students the opportunity to take Driver's Education in order to obtain a Driver's Eligibility Certificate. The system has implemented a $45.00 fee for students who are eligible to take Driver Education. Students may pay by cash, cashier’s check or money order. THERE WILL BE NO REFUNDS.
Currently, North Carolina requires driver education for anyone below 18 years of age in order to apply for a license. Students who are 14 1/2 or older are eligible to take the Driver's Education. Students should pre-register for the class in the HHS guidance office during school hours.
Students and parents should check daily announcements and/or the school calendar for class schedules. Space in the class may be limited.
After successful completion of the classroom portion, students will be prioritized according to their age and scheduled by the teacher to drive for the behind-the-wheel 6 hours of class.
If you have other questions, you contact the school office or JDS Carolinas, Inc.
DRIVER'S EDUCATION CERTIFICATES : Driver Eligibility Certificates are valid for 30 days from the date of validation. Please submit completed driver eligibility certificate to DMV before the 30-day deadline. If you know you are not going to DMV within 30 days or you are not going to be 15 years old within 30 days, please wait until you are ready to get your learner's permit before starting this process.
Students must pass 3 or 4 courses in the last semester in order to obtain a validation seal on the driver eligibility certificate. Final marks in courses are checked. Nine weeks grades are NOT used for validation. If you fail two or more courses at HHS or you drop out of school before your 18th birthday, you will NOT get your driver eligibility certificate validated and your license or permit will be revoked by the State.
Please follow these steps in obtaining your Driver Eligibility Certificate:
After completing both the classroom and driving phases of driver's education, students need to take their driver education certificate to the main office.
- A parent and/or guardian must review and sign the certificate in the presence of the school official who will then date and seal the certificate.
- The student must present his/her Driver's Education Certificate when applying for the Driver Eligibility Certificate.
- Lost certificates must be replaced via JDS Carolinas, Inc. There is a $10 fee.