At its August 2017 Board Meeting the North Carolina State Board of Education approved the request submitted by the Craven County Board of Education for Roger Bell Elementary and Oaks Road Elementary, two schools identified as persistently low performing over the previous several years, to transition to the Restart Model beginning with the 2018-2019 school year.
This model authorizes the Craven County Board of Education to operate both schools with significant flexibility. This designation does not however make them charter schools. Roger Bell Elementary and Oaks Road Elementary will continue to be public elementary schools under the responsibility of the Craven County Schools Board of Education.
We are excited about this additional flexibility and will take the next year to work with the leaders, school staff, parents, students, and the community, to be a part of remaking this school to meet the needs of the students for which each school serves.
The ultimate goal is to improve student achievement at Roger Bell Elementary and Oaks Road Elementary while providing the best learning resources and tools, the Restart Model will assist with the following:
- Improve student learning;
- Increase learning opportunities for all students, with special emphasis on expanded learning experiences for students who are identified as at risk of academic failure or academically gifted;
- Encourage the use of different and innovative teaching methods;
- Create new professional opportunities for teachers, including the opportunities to be responsible for the learning program at the school site;
- Provide parents and students with expanded choices in the types of educational opportunities that are available within the public school system; and
- Hold the schools established accountable for meeting measurable student achievement results, and provide the schools with a method to change from rule-based to performance-based accountability systems
Throughout the implementation of the Restart Model, the Craven County Board of Education together with our school families and staff, will work diligently to ensure our students have the best educational opportunities available. In the next month or so, school leaders will begin to engage the school families in the re-imagination of each of these schools to serve our students and their families at higher levels.