This course is designed to teach the following skills and concepts:
· basic keying skills, consisting of fluent manipulation of all alphabetic letters, all numeric keys as well as the symbols and the numeric keypad and to increase keyboarding speed and accuracy when using the touch method.
· basic skills in word processing as well as document formatting rules for letters, memorandums and emails in the business community.
· basic computer concepts and skills in order to be successful with technology in everyday life.
Emphasis is on daily use of a computer system and appropriate software to provide integrated training through a learn/practice/sustain/assess plan of skill building. Students will use Google docs for obtaining and submitting student work.
The student will understand:
· Understand and apply the touch method in operating the alpha keys.
· Understand and apply the touch method in operating number and symbol keys.
· Understand and apply the touch method in operating the keyboard while increasing speed and accuracy.
· Understand formatting skills in document processing.
Materials and Supplies
- #2 pencils
- Black erasable ink pen
- Loose leaf paper
- Folder w/prongs or 3 ring binder
· Take responsibility for your own learning.
Be on time
Use time wisely
· Be respectful.
To your class
To your teacher
To your school
· No food, candy, or gum in the computer lab.
· Remain seated until dismissed by the teacher.
You must have an Acceptable Use Policy form on file giving permission to use the Internet in the classroom and agreement to abide by all County Internet policies.
If work is submitted from home, all files must be saved in a format compatible with Microsoft Office Professional (.docx, .xlsx, .pptx, .accdb) or Adobe (.pdf). Work in other formats can not be opened for scoring.
Code of Conduct
- I will use posts to discuss school-related content only.
- I will use a respectful tone of voice when posting and in written assignments. All school rules and consequences related to harassment apply.
- I will use appropriate grammar instead of texting language in all written communication in class.
- I will limit my use of sarcasm to avoid misinterpretations in all written communications.
- I will not reveal any personal information on Google docs. This includes telephone numbers, addresses, emails, etc.
- I will not post photos or videos showing myself or classmates without permission.
Classroom/Computer Lab Rules
- When helping others in class, use your words not your hands.
- Save your work in designated folders only. Do not create or delete any files from the computer.
- To go to the bathroom, please follow these steps:
- Go to the teacher’s desk and ask for permission
- Get your teacher’s signature/initials on your bathroom pass sheet. The bathroom pass sheet contains 10 slots for the semester. Once the sheet is filled, bathroom privileges are over. If you do not have your sheet, you will not be permitted to leave.
- Use the bathroom in this building, do not go anywhere else.
- Students are not permitted to use the bathroom during the 1st 15 minutes or the last 10 minutes.
- Do not make any changes to any computer settings (desktop backgrounds, file management, etc.)
- Report any damages or changes in your work area/computer system immediately.
- Straighten your work area before leaving class.
- Place your keyboard and mouse in front of your monitor away from the edge of your desk.
- Keep the monitor at the far corner of your desk at all times.
- Log off the computer before leaving class.
- Push your chair under.