The internet is here to stay and kids are being given access younger and younger.
Here is a list of tips to help you keep your children safe when they are online:
Social Media Safety Tip Sheet for Parents
- When should I talk to my kids about being safe online or when using social media?
- Kids are getting online younger and younger it is important to talk about rules and expectations for accessing the internet and using social media as soon as possible.
- Tips for keeping your child safe when online:
- Don’t friend people you don’t know.
- If you wouldn’t do it in real life, then you shouldn’t do it online.
- Review the rules of the website or app.
- Avoid strangers
- Keep private stuff private
- Know your child’s passwords and check their accounts regularly.
- What can I do if my child is being bullied online?
- Sign off the computer/delete the app
- Tell them not to retaliate or respond
- Block the bully. Delete messages without reading them.
- Are there apps or programs that will help me monitor what my child does online?
- This program/app can downloaded on any computer (Mac or Windows) or any Android or Apple iPhone.
- Restricts websites
- Allows parents to create a “always allow” or “always block” lists
- Enhanced “anti-tampering” that is difficult to break
- K9 Web Protection
**All information in this presentation was found on www.commonsensemedia.org Check them out for more information about how to keep your children safe online, reviews on books, TV shows, movies, etc and activities for children.